Sunday, March 1, 2009

A wonderful experience

Today was out stake conference. But not any old normal stake conference. We had a special visitor today. Our special visitor was one of the 12 apostles! L. Tom Perry came to our stake conference and spoke to us this morning!

It was such a special experience and I don't want to ever forget about the time Elder Perry came to our stake conference. Our conference stated at 10:00 but we got there at 8:00 to get a soft seat. We got of of the last few soft seats! Just a little after 8:00 when we got there people were already sitting in the back of the church. And I was so Glad we got there when we did!

L. Tom Perry was our last speaker (Save the best for last!) we also had a mission president and his wife and our temple president. L . tom perry talked about the importance of missionary work. He then Invited the mission president to come stand next to him. Elder perry said " Now do you have Testimony of missionary work? The mission pres said "Yes I do" and L. tom perry then he stepped away from pulpit and said "OK." And then the mission pres shared his testimony. Elder perry surprised ALL of us! He even surprised the mission pres! Then he talked about the temple and asked the Temple Pres to come join him. Guess what? Same thing as Mission pres. He asked him if he had a testimony and the the temple pres bore his testimony. He then told us how he had been a Stake presided and then how he was called as one of the 12 apostles. He then told about all the Prophets (that had been the prophet since he was a 12 apostle and how he gets to work with them and how wonderful they are.)

All through his talk he said funny things and made us laugh. He had a wonderful smile that I think that even on the WORST days would all make us happy. Just him being there, his presence I had the spirt with me and was happy. There is not really a way I can describe his smile expat what I told you. His smile just lighted up everything!. Maybe a good way to describe it is you could see love he had for everyone in his smile. He also had a wonderful sense of humor and I liked his talk the best! The picture of him I put up does not really even show how wonderful his smile really is. You just have to see him in person.

And then at the end of conference RIGHT after the prayer a line gathered to go go shake his hand. I got in that line quickly I didn't have to wait to long. I got to shake his hand and He was so friendly and asked me how I was doing. It was so cool just to be able to shake his hand, a apostle of god. Evan told him he enjoyed his talk and Elder perry said "I'm glad you liked it!". And he said to Aaron " Hello future missionary!" And Aaron said "I'm preparing!". Like I said he said everything with a smile and I loved his sense of humor! It was such a good experience and I'm so glad L. Tom Perry could come!

2 comments:

Charlotte said...

i won't ever forget Stake Conference of March 2009 either

LaRae said...

Marianne - what an amazing experience you had! I am so glad that you recorded your feelings and shared them with us. I love how you said that Elder Perry's smile lit up the room and that you could see his love for everyone by his smile. And the fact that you got to shake his hand - so, so cool! Thanks for sharing!